The nominees for the prestigious Eisner Awards were announced today. It is a various cross-section of talent, highlighting some excellent storytelling and production. Publications and professionals are eligible based on work distributed between January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
The nominees on the list below can be voted on by industry professionals until June 19th. The ballot can be found here.
The award ceremony is typically held at San Diego Comic-Con each year, but with SDCC cancelled this year, it will be different.
Best Short Story
- “Hot Comb,” by Ebony Flowers, in Hot Comb (Drawn & Quarterly)
- “How to Draw a Horse,” by Emma Hunsinger, The New Yorker, https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/how-to-draw-a-horse
- “The Menopause,” by Mira Jacob, The Believer, https://believermag.com/the-menopause/
- “Who Gets Called an ‘Unfit’ Mother?” by Miriam Libicki, The Nib, https://thenib.com/who-gets-called-an-unfit-mother/
- “You’re Not Going to Believe What I’m About to Tell You,” by Matthew Inman, The Oatmeal,https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe
Best Single Issue/One-Shot
- Coin-Op No. 8: Infatuation, by Peter and Maria Hoey (Coin-Op Books)
- The Freak, by Matt Lesniewski (AdHouse)
- Minotäar, by Lissa Treiman (Shortbox)
- Our Favorite Thing Is My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, by Emil Ferris (Fantagraphics)
- Sobek, by James Stokoe (Shortbox)