What the new year brings to you will depend on a great deal on what you bring to the new year !
Welcome to 2020!
In the past year, the news has often been filled with confounding rhetoric, and there have been some truly terrible events, but we need to resolve to focus on the positive, while committing to make things better. We can be the agents of change that we need in this world.
What an amazing year that 2019 was around here!!! As Pop Culture Squad celebrates the completion of its first full calendar year of existence, we have a lot of great accomplishments to look back on.
Here are a few highlights:
- We had our first Convention Booth appearance at East Coast Comic Con that we shared with our Unshaven Comics brothers.
- Pop Culture Squad was granted Press Pass access to four other shows, and I, personally, went to a total of eight shows this year.
- We had our first viral post article this year thanks to Russ Maheras’ now legendary Steve Ditko: Inside His Studio Sanctum Sanctorum.
- There were a few other massively viral articles thanks to G.D., Marc, Emily, and Ed.
Personally, 2019 was a big step forward for me. Writing and working for this site has been a dream come true, and I am so thankful to have the opportunity to bring comic news, reviews, and interviews to our followers and friends.
- I completed over 20 interviews this year with over 26 different people.
- I moderated my first two comic convention panels at Baltimore Comic-Con.
- I have read and reviewed hundreds of comics on this site.
Click here to check out some of the past content.
What do we have to look forward to in 2020? Well, you will find this column much more frequently, for one thing. We will be using this space to bring you deeper dives on comic material and history. The plan is to have something for you every month in this column.
We will continue to bring you are weekly columns which include:
- Mike Gold‘s two amazingly bold and insightful weekly missives:
- Brainiac on Banjo
- Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mind
- With Further Ado by Ed Catto
- So Long and Thanks For the Fish Man by Marc Fishman
- Everything We Read This Week by Me
We will also be bringing you a new column on Fridays called New Number Ones This Week. This column will give you reviews in the style of EWRTW for the series that debut that week.
Besides those regular columns, we will have plenty of additional pop culture news and reviews as well as interviews and cosplay coverage. Also, don’t forget that we are more than just a website, we are a community that encourages interaction with our readers and followers. Please remember to like or follow us on our social media pages on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
I am going to leave you with a quote for the new year from Neil Gaiman:
May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.